Monday 19 November 2012

Self Portrait in Oils (1984)


This self portrait was not created on iPad. It's for real. A painting I did when in my mid-thirties, in oils. I was; and still am to a degree, influence by the impressionists. Although Cezanne made more of an impression on me than anyone at the time, hence the planes of colour on my face with which I was attempting to model my features... Or should that be modulate? I still cannot understand what he meant by that exactly, but the planes of complementary colours do appear to provide a more chiseled appearance to my face. Accentuating my cheek bones and rather large nose. Not that I could produce anything quite so exotic as Cezanne; or ever hope to match his style, but then I put this down to the fact that I was still trying to hone my technique. To produce something that was more unique to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment