Monday 19 November 2012

Lymm in Cheshire. Pastel on Paper. (1986)


This was a painting in pastel I sold recently to an old school friend of mine who now lives in London. It was a cold, but beautifully clear Boxing day and very calm, when I decided to pack my equipment in the car and look around for something to paint. I had Lymm in mind because it is an attractive village close to home. So I didn't have far to travel. Although I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for other than to capture something of the buildings close to the Bridgewater canal. I couldn't find anywhere to position my easel without causing a problem for people shopping and of course having to paint the road with all of its traffic, which tends to be quite bad for such a small village so far from the motorway, and with only one major road running close by. Then again, it was Boxing day, and most people would be still at home. I found this spot to work, which has a broad pavement leaving plenty of room for people to pass without bumping into me. The stream over which the buildings are perched is in a gully, and because it is narrow you cannot see it from here. Nevertheless, I had a good view of the buildings if only from the back. It took me two long days to complete and is quite large for a pastel painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment