Tuesday 20 November 2012

Figure Painting on iPad


I love painting the human figure from memory because it really tests your skill and knowledge of anatomy to the limit. I don't begin with anyone in particular in mind, or vision of how they will appear when I have finished. I just start drawing and then add colour. Sometimes I begin with a quick outline in pencil, or in silhouette. Such as if I am wanting to capture the figure(s) in a certain pose. Here are three examples of what I mean...





And so on... Although they finish up more as characterizations than of real figures for this reason. To my eye at least, they appear more animated and alive. Unless that is, I am copying a figure from a photograph, or from direct observation. If not, then I avoid trying to be too precise for fear of overworking the painting. The image below is one exception, in which I was trying to capture a figure of a young dancer in a typical Degas like fashion: posing with her head held back and eyes closed as if resting, or contemplating her previous movements. In this case therefore, I wanted her to be as life like as I could make her, which was difficult but not impossible.



No comments:

Post a Comment